Wedding photographers. I’m looking at you. You have precious, absolutely irreplaceable data. Do not eff this up. Here are the rules:
- If you don’t have at least three copies, you don’t have any.
- A RAID storage system does not count as more than one copy.
- Storage devices fail. They just do. Plan for the failure of your drives, and accept that it will happen.
- At least one copy of your client’s memories should be stored off-site. No matter how many backups you have, you’re naked and defenseless if they’re all in your home where fire and burglars can get to them.
- JPEG or half-resolution files are not backups. You cannot deliver the quality of product you expect from yourself if you’re forced to rely on these. A backup is not a backup unless you can deliver a finished product to the client without them ever knowing there was an issue.